I was raised with the attitude there is always something new to learn about everything. Never stop learning.
So when I was told about a free online class from the University of Georgia about preserving food, I jumped at the opportunity. Learning to bottle produce from my garden is one of my many goals this year. I will list my other goals in another post.
Some of you were fortunate to learn to can at your mother's side when you were young. I did not have that opportunity because my mother froze everything. So now I am excited to learn.
Go to this link to sign up for this free online class.
Preserving Food at Home - A Self Study
1. Participants will become familiar with various reasons for preserving food and how various methods preserve foods at home.
2. Participants will gain an understanding of the different steps needed for canning acid and low acid foods at 3. home to ensure the production of safe, high-quality products.
4. Participants will become familiar with the materials and equipment needed in home canning.
5. Participants will be able to identify and avoid problems with food canned at home.
6. Participants will be able to successfully preserve products by the methods presented.
This evening I went through the introduction module. The course has several modules. By completing a module every few days, I should be able to complete the course in a couple of weeks.