Wednesday, March 16, 2011

72 Hour Kit - Foods

Today I am catching up on some blogs I follow. Being without internet got me a little behind.

I was over at Food Storage Made Easy responding to the 72 hour kit content request. So I thought I would share my kit here as well.

My 72 hour kit requires No Cooking. You never know what living conditions an emergency will bring you. Therefore cooking or heating something may not always be an option. Everything in my kit is a simple open and eat item.

Being stressed you may want to eat to satisfy your discomfort rather than your hunger. This is not a time to pack foods you are unfamiliar with (like those all-in-one food bars you find in some ready-made kits). Do you really want to eat 6 bites of some strange food bar 3 times a day for 3 days? That would be enough to put me over the edge in an already crazy environment. You need your very favorite foods in your 72 hour kit. The ones you eat on a regular basis.

Food in my 72 hour Kit-
9 - bottles of water
6 - bottles/boxes of juice
6 - cereal bars
1 - box/sleeve of crackers
1 - jar of peanut butter
3 - pudding cups
3 - fruit cups
3 - cans of vegetables, like peas and carrots
3 - cans of  pork and beans
6 - fruit roll ups

I know this may seem like a lot, but you may have to live off it for more than 3 days. Could you in good conscience sit there and eat if someone beside you had no food? I would have to share.
This kit is a generous amount for 1 person for 3 days.
But it is only a sparse amount for 1 person for 5 days or 2 people for 3 days.

Because of the short shelf life of crackers and cereal bars, this kit must be rotated and eaten every 6 months.
I carry this in a backpack with other needed supplies.

No comments:

Post a Comment